WorldWide Drilling Resource

21 AUGUST 2022 WorldWide Drilling Resource® LOOKING FOR A GREAT DEAL? LOOK NO FURTHER! 850-547-0102 What to Purchase ~ Pump Hoist Size and Unit Selection Adapted from Information by Albin Janecek, II Vice President, Pulstar Manufacturing Pump Hoist Size Selection - In addressing this particular topic, I can tell you that we see varied opinions all over the board. No matter what, you need to give strong consideration to the majority of your work - yes, I said the majority of it. If you have 95% of the work in your area requiring (hypothetically) a 10,000-pound hookload, shoot for that number. The other 5% of your work may require (hypothetically) a 15,000- to 20,000-pound hookload. You will need to decide if you want to occasionally multiline your pump hoist, or simply sub out to another contractor with a larger unit. Either way makes better sense than having a pump hoist too large for everyday use. In our normal recommendations, we usually advise customers to purchase “one size bigger”. In other words, if you have continuous 10,000-pound loads, look at purchasing a pump hoist rated around 12,000 pounds. It is always easier on the equipment, and can be equated to longer equipment life. Please keep in mind that by sizing your pump hoist, you are ultimately sizing your truck. Sizing the truck also “one size bigger” is some of the best money you can possibly spend. Truck manufacturers are no longer forgiving on gross vehicle weight rating and warranty consideration, and neither is the U.S. Department of Transportation. Purchasing a New or Used Unit - The first big question you need to ask yourself is, “How much work am I normally guaranteed; and what can I charge for my services?” In today’s marketplace, the estimate is about 1800 billing hours per year, and roughly $100+ per hour will comfortably keep you in new equipment on a three- to four-year rotational cycle. Theoretically, half the billing hours at the same billing rate would keep you in a new pump hoist every six to eight years. Either way is certainly feasible, and makes perfect sense. The big thing to keep in mind is maintaining a proportional increase of your services to keep up with escalating costs of replacement. Again, a reasonable benchmark of 3% to 4% per year is just good business. As a matter of just plain facts, 15 to 20 years ago, we usually saw most used pump hoist units being solicited by new or fresh start-up companies. That is not always the case now. It can sometimes be more difficult for start-up companies to procure financing on used units - not always, but more often than not. The vast majority of used units we see being sold are actually going to wellestablished companies looking for a good “standby” unit. Again, different strategies by new equipment buyers ultimately dictate strategies for used equipment buyers. Not too many years ago, you could find some fairly decent used units in the $20,000 to $30,000 range. Now, the vast majority of used equipment will hover more in the $70,000+ range. That costing element is a big difference; and remember, all those used units are being sold “as-is, where-is, no warranties stated or implied”. WTR New & Used Tricones PDCs Drag & Claw Bits Drill Collars Bit Tipping Subs & Stabilizers HDD Bits & Reamers DTH Hammer & Bits Custom Fabrication Junk Mills / Fishing Tools Rod Henderson 661-201-6259 Eran Henderson 661-330-0790