WorldWide Drilling Resource®

23 WorldWide Drilling Resource ® APRIL 2020 ATF Fields Questions about Explosives Regulations Adapted from Information by the U.S.  Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives When the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) receives questions about regulations, they frequently share those questions and answers with the industry. Communicating this information may provide others with a better understanding of the rules and regulations surrounding commercial explosives. Am I required to report a change in magazines to the local fire safety authority? Answer : The regulation at 27 CFR § 555.201(f) requires any person who stores explosive materials to notify the authority having jurisdiction for fire safety in the locality where the materials are being stored. The type of explosives, magazine capacity, and location of each storage site must be disclosed. If you make a change affecting the location, type of storage, (e.g. from low explosives to high explosives), or the storage capacity (e.g. adding additional magazines or changing to a larger magazine to accommodate larger quantities of explosives), then the change should be reported to the authority having jurisdiction for fire safety as required under § 555.201(f). This notification must be made orally before the end of the day when new storage commenced, and in writing within 48 hours. I am a responsible person on my company’s license and recently changed my name. Am I required to report this to ATF? Answer : Yes, under 27 CFR § 555.57(b), Federal explosives licensees and permittees must report any change in respon- sible persons or employees authorized to possess explosive materials to the Chief of the Federal Explosives Licensing Center (FELC), including name changes. This must be reported within 30 days of the change. You may submit your current clearance and name change information via letter to the FELC. Although not required, it is recommended the licensee or permittee submit the current letter of clearance for amendment with the letter requesting change. This will help to update your records properly and help avoid multiple entries for the same person. If I am returning product because it is either defective or the incorrect product, do I have to record the return in any of my records? Answer : You must treat your return as a transfer with full disposition records as required under 27 CFR Part 555, Subpart F - Conduct of Business (see §§ 555.103 and 555.105) and Subpart G - Records and Reports (see §§ 555.123 through 555.126). If the materials were previously entered into your DSMT (daily summary of magazine transactions), you should also make the appropriate changes to the DSMT record accordingly. EXB